A couple of days ago we decided to give Qubes OS a go and see what it could do for a regular user. The installation was easy as it uses the same installer as
Fedora, so we just created a
live USB and formatted a laptop that had built in
To our surprise, we could not figure out how to change the network settings and activate an internet connection! Going to the
nm), even with
root, would show us all fields as disabled when trying to create any new connection!
Some time passed before we realized that the
XFCE4 was not the way to go. After inspecting the
Virtual Machines on the
Qubes VM Manager, we saw that the
sys-net VM was the only one that had in its hardware settings to access the
Wi-Fi modules. So we got the hint, we needed to modify
sys-net in order to connect the entire OS with its VMs to the network.
To modify the settings of the
sys-net VM we needed access to the
Settings Application, which was not available in the application menu. So the first thing we did, was to use the
sys-net: Add more shortcuts... option under the group
ServiceVM: sys-net to enable the
Settings application shortcut.
[Dom0] Settings: sys-net window, we went to the
Applications tab, on the left list we scrolled down to find the
After selecting the
Settings option, we clicked on the
> button to move the
Settings option to the right list.
Then we clicked on the
OK button to apply the changes.
Going back to the application menu and the group
ServiceVM: sys-net we could see the new option for
Clicking on the
sys-net: Settings showed us the usual settings manager for
From there on, our job was easy, we just clicked on the
Network option that gave us the window to modify all network settings. Then we selected the
Wi-Fi network that we wanted to connect to, which worked without a hitch!
Finally, we had to test if the configuration was working as expected. From the application menu, under the group
Domain: personal, we selected the option
personal: Firefox to start the Firefox application on the
Once Firefox started we could see that internet connection was active and everything was working as expected!